Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Thankful for friends

This Sunday, November 17, we are focusing on being thankful for friendship.  As we do, we will take a look at David and Jonathan in 1 Samuel 18-20.  David and Jonathan's relationship is a great example of loyalty, integrity, and friendship.  In their relationship we notice at least three qualities of friendship.  First, they were willing to sacrifice for one another (see 1 Samuel 18:4).  Second, we learn of Jonathan's loyalty to David in 1 Samuel 19:1-3.  And third we notice Jonathan and David's strong emotion towards each other (1 Samuel 20).  Each characteristic reminds us of the great value of a good friend.

The best way I can relate with the friendship of David and Jonathan is to compare it to the relationship between brothers or men who have fought together in the military or played on a sports team at a high level.  Perhaps you have another example in your life of true friendship which helps you relate to David and Jonathan.

The truth is we all need at leas tone good friend.  I know I am thankful for the friendship I have with my spouse, my brothers, and my church family.  How about you?  What are the friendships in your life for which you can be thankful?

No comments:

Post a Comment