Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Spectators or Servants

This Sunday we take a look at the launch of Jesus' public ministry.  Nothing has been more captivating than the life, teachings, and mission of Jesus in my readings of scripture except perhaps the transforming ministry of the Holy Spirit.

In Matthew 4 we read of Jesus' calling his first disciples.  They were fishermen, so the call was extended to them with these words, "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men."  Jesus always spoke in a language we could understand.

Many Christians today fully embrace the first part of the call - the call to follow Jesus.  We learn of his teachings and we seek to become more like him.  But the call to follow is not fully fulfilled until we become fishers of men.  It's a life-long journey of growth and change.  Jesus calls us to become like him in influencing others.

Some would rather remain spectators in Jesus' call to fish.  Fishing is just too much trouble.  It's messy, takes time, and forces me out of my comfort zone.  Others are willing to fish and willing to become a servant.  When Jesus called us to follow him, he envisioned a group of people who would become world-changers.  Come follow and go fish - that's the call of discipleship.

Take a moment this week and ask yourself, "Am I merely a spectator or am I a servant influencing others with my life?"  Join us this Sunday as we consider this question together.  See you at the ARC, 9:30 and 10:15 AM.  Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment